Shegaon is a small village near Wardha town (8 km). In spite of many practical difficulties, Gandhiji decided to settle here. He reached the village on the 30th April,1936 early in the morning at about 5 a.m. He remained here for about five to six days. He called the villagers and the purpose of his visit and sought their permission to settle down here. He had no intention to keep anybody with him except his wife Kasturba. However slowly slowly pressure of work necessitated permission to more colleagues till Sevagram Ashram also became a full-fledged institution.
Gandhiji observed all the rules of Sabarmati
Ashram here also. He was 67 years when he came to Sevagram. In those days
the village was surrounded by forest on all sides. Snakes and scorpions
were a common feature. There was only one footpath or cart track to Wardha.
No post-office or telegraph office existed. There letters used to be brought
from Wardha. There is another village in this region named Shegaon, made
famous by the residence of Saint Gajanan Maharaj. Hence Gandhiji's letters
used to get misdirected. Therefore, it was decided in 1940 to name this
village as SEVAGRAM or the village of service.